Located in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, the Hennepin County District Court is one of the busiest and most significant trial courts in the state. The court is responsible for handling a wide range of criminal cases, including misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, and felony offenses.
If you need to appear in court in Hennepin County, you may feel isolated and overwhelmed, especially when considering the consequences of your actions.
Facing criminal charges in Hennepin County? You need an experienced and reliable criminal defense attorney to help you navigate the criminal justice system.
Hennepin County District Court Information
The Hennepin County District Court is responsible for handling a wide range of criminal cases, including misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, and felony offenses. The court operates under the Minnesota Judicial Branch and is one of the state’s busiest and most significant trial courts.
300 South 6th St
Minneapolis, MN 55487
Hours of Operation
8:00 a.m.—4:30 p.m.
Appearing in Court
When appearing in the Hennepin County District Court, you must go through various security screenings. Firearms and other weapons are prohibited from being taken into a courtroom in Hennepin County. So, you may be subject to weapons screening before entering.
The following items will be removed before going into the courtroom:
- Firearms and any ammunition
- Stun guns and taser weapons
- Replica or toy guns or any device that is designed to appear to be a firearm or a
partially concealed firearm
- Chemical irritants, such as mace or pepper spray, except that government employees who possess chemical irritants for their personal protection may carry chemical irritants into and out of the Hennepin County District Court facilities
- Knives, box cutters, and other bladed objects, except tools used by government employees and contractors as part of their work.
Once you complete a weapons screening, you can proceed to your courtroom. Hennepin County courtrooms have display screens that provide information about the daily hearings, so you can easily find where and when your hearing is.
Make sure you give yourself enough time to arrive at the courthouse, park, go through security, and find your courtroom.
Divisions of the Hennepin County District Court
The Hennepin County District Court is a hub of legal activity in Minnesota. It houses several divisions, each dedicated to specific aspects of the legal system.
Here, we’ll focus on the criminal, juvenile, and traffic court divisions.
You will likely appear in criminal court if you have been charged with a crime in Hennepin County. Hennepin County District Court handles misdemeanor offenses and felony offenses, ranging from theft and drug charges to assault and homicide.
Hennepin County District Court has a specialized juvenile division that handles cases involving minors. This division is responsible for hearing cases that involve criminal offenses, delinquency, and dependency. The juvenile division is equipped with specialized staff trained to handle the unique needs of minors involved in the court system.
Hennepin County District Court has a specialized traffic court division that handles traffic violations. This division is responsible for hearing cases involving traffic tickets, DWIs, and other traffic-related offenses. If you receive a traffic ticket or citation in Hennepin County, you will likely have to appear in traffic court.
How Can a Criminal Defense Attorney Help Me in Court?
If you’ve been charged with a crime in Hennepin County, you should consider working with a criminal defense attorney. Your lawyer will protect your rights and help you achieve a favorable case outcome.
Here are some other ways a criminal defense attorney can help you in court:
- Provide legal advice and guidance on your case
- Analyze and challenge the evidence presented against you
- Negotiate plea bargains and plea deals with the prosecution
- Represent you at all court proceedings and hearings
- Cross-examine witnesses and present evidence in your defense
- Protect your rights and ensure fair treatment under the law
- Provide emotional support and reassurance throughout the legal process
- Advocate for the best possible outcome for your case, including reduced charges, dismissed charges, or acquittal.
Top-Rated Hennepin County Criminal Law Attorney
If you are facing criminal charges, it is essential to have the right legal representation on your side.
At Martine Law, our team of experienced criminal defense attorneys is committed to protecting your rights and advocating for your best interests in court. We understand the complexities of the legal system and can provide the guidance and support you need throughout the legal process.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you fight your charges and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wait—take the first step towards a better future by reaching out to Martine Law now.